Friday 6 December 2019

Her Well Is Low



I heard the scream, an ear-piercing scream in one of our classes. I could only make out the skeleton of the voice, it was feminine and heavy with emotions. It was a literal cry for help that could not be mistaken for a prank on graduation day. I dashed to the direction where the voice was emanating from to flesh up the voice, give it a name and purpose.

After a long and gruesome year, the term was finally coming to an end and as is the custom at our school, we prepared for a graduation ceremony, one of a kind this time. The compound was filled to capacity, learners dressed to kill, teachers and parents weren't left behind. The decorations were at the best we’ve ever had, the sun was up and we were set for a great day ahead.

As I moved to the classroom, I could already tell that the screams that had rendered the air had sent a wave of confusion to the pupils and teachers alike. I hastened my steps to find out. Her hands were on her head and the illusion of the loss of a loved one crossed my mind. “Mercy*, what’s wrong?” I asked. As if I wasn’t there, she kept screaming, attracting attention even further. She didn’t answer, she was buried in her pain, sorrow and anguish, she had had enough, her body was in excruciating pain, I later found out.

I was lost for words, I didn’t know whether I should get the door or let her out; whether I should be kind and loving or harsh to slap her back to reality. Soon, I noticed that her body could not take it anymore. She couldn’t play nice any longer, she couldn’t have it together anymore. She got out of the room, still wailing to the top of her lungs, attracting the attention of the young ones in the vicinity. It was supposed to be a jovial day but her body could not submit to that fact.

I quickly moved her to the next room and later asked someone to get her daughter who happened to be around for the day. She stormed in, I presume she had gotten wind of what had transpired. She was confused but all too familiar with these events. I hugged Mercy, tight, she was still inconsolable. I wanted her to feel the warmth of love and care. The daughter joined in the hug and tears. This was one of the saddest moments I’ve ever experienced, I almost lost it but had to pull myself together for the sake of this family whom a mental disease had robbed them joy and stability.


No comments:

Post a Comment